I bought yarn for this project when the pattern was released last year but when it arrived I wished that I had chosen another colour, so it sat in my stash for a year before I got to it. It seems like the colour darkens with the first wash and as if it’s not completely oxidized before or something. I do like the darker shade a lot better however and the finished sweater is stunning.
I used Macaw/Canopy Fingering as the pattern called for, but had trouble getting the gauge exactly right and compensated by making a size smaller, I did have to lengthen it in order to make it fit me right, I made it with 1″ positive ease. I prefer positive ease on tops so that they don’t feel too clingy. The drapyness of the fabric make me think that 2″ of positive ease might have been better so if I ever make a similar sweater I will go for that instead but it’s still good this way. The pattern is clear and easy to follow just as all of Gudruns patterns and the design with the keyhole in the back and the lace it the front giving interest both from the front and back together with a high neckline is just a perfect combo. I think it will keep me warm this winter underneath a cardigan or maybe my Bernadette.
I had a bit of a scare while knitting this with only the top of the last shoulder left my 5 skeins where all used up, and I ordered some more but the colour of this hand dyed yarn didn’t match, not even close. I was stuck and didn’t know what to do. After about 2 weeks of this sad hibernation as I was looking at my inspiration board and saw 4 blue swatches, I had completely forgotten all about my 4 swatches that I had made trying to get gauge and thankfully there was just enough yarn to finish.