Tag Archives: cotton

Waver Jacket

20151014_0530docksjo design

I’m making a cotton nice weather jacket, it is made in the amazing screen printed cotton I got from my sister in law a few years ago. I tried making a dress from the fabric when I got it, but my sewing skills wasn’t that great and it didn’t even make it to the blog. The result was just too bad to show it, this jacket however is amazing. The print makes it a quite bold but in a nice way. The pattern is Waver jacket by Papercut patterns, I did a broad shoulder adjustment, Se below, I needed to add 2 cm extra width 12 cm from the neckline and you can see how I did, I cut to the seam allowance saving just enough for it to stay together and then pulled it apart 2 cm and re-drew the pattern piece, this way the excess is only added where it is needed at the shoulders.

20151004_0466docksjo design

I changed the pockets to bound with flaps and silk lining so they don’t add any bulk to the jacket. I bagged the jacket using the same tutorial as I did with my Veste Bernadette. I think it is quick and makes everything look neat and nice on the inside as well. For the lining I used some lightweight cotton, I walked around in my local fabric store for about an hour without finding something quite like the one in my mind or something I really liked within my budget and finally decided to make do with this green owl print. I now remember why you always should line the sleeves with silk no matter what you line the rest with, it is tricky to get the jacket on when you are wearing a heavy sweater. Since I haven’t had a cotton lined jacket for at least 5 years now I had forgotten that this is an issue. I thought that this would be fine. It is cotton but the surface is smooth almost lit satin treated cotton, well not smooth enough.

20151014_0472docksjo design 20151014_0481docksjo design 20151014_0482docksjo design-2 20151014_0487docksjo design

This is how much I like it.

 

20151014_0488docksjo design-2 20151014_0494docksjo design-2 20151014_0507docksjo design 20151014_0552docksjo design

Alice top

Alice top

It seems I’m always creating out of season, this is Alice is my new summer top. It is made in cotton double gauze from nani iro. It feels a little big so I think I will make a size smaller for the next one, I have already the fabric laid out so I can start as soon as I get a free moment. I was inspired to make this when I saw the beautiful red version Elizabeth from Sewn by Elizabeth made for her mother in law, it just seemed like the perfect fit for me. I have ordered some navy trouser weight cotton for a pair of shorts, to go with it and then I will be ready for summer, although I’m still longing for some proper winter with snow that stays for at least a month. I haven’t decided whether I shall use the Esther shorts pattern and modify it to have a front zipper and pockets both front and back or whether I shall buy the Tap shorts pattern that already have all the nice details and just fit it instead.

Alice top Alice top

Have you started the next seasons crafting yet?

Alice top

Black Velvet skirt

Delphine skirt

I was skirt planing when the first task in pattern review’s sewing bee contest arrived in the email, an A-line skirt, and as it happens I had already bought some black velvet the day before for exactly that purpose. So her it  is the perfect skirt that goes with almost everything.

Delphine skirt

I used about 1.2m 112cm wide cotton velvet, 1m viscose lining, a normal zipper and  scrapes of quilting cotton the the inside of the waistband, button on the inside to protect the zipper, as well as some light interfacing. The pattern is based on the Delphine skirt from Love at First Stitch but modified to give it the fit I like better. I lowered the waistband to sit over my high hip instead and reshaped the hips and added some waist shaping. The result is so comfortable that I don’t want to take it of and have already been wearing allot.

Delphine skirtDelphine skirt

Delphine skirt Delphine skirt Delphine skirt  Delphine skirt Delphine skirt

Number 4

navy dress nr4

This is a new dress made for the #FallForCotton sewalong. This is the same patern as my wedding gown and the Rowan dress and the lavender silk/cotton dress. The pattern is a heavely modified version of  Gertie’s The Sultry Sheath from Gertie’s new book for better sewing (adlibris). The fabric is a stiff 100% dark Navy blue medium (to light) weight cotton.navy dress nr4 navy dress nr4