The last of the tussilago baby accessories patterns is finally released and I think this might be my favorite of the three even if I think they all look best together. Tussilago hat is a helmet style earflap hat in the size range from preemie to 49 cm head circumference and is intended to work for children 0-2 years just as Tussilago mittens and scarf.
I knitted this toddler romper/trousers in Pickles exrta fine merino it has he most amazing deep eggplant purple. The pattern is from Sandnes garn hefte Baby 1415, the design is by Liv Stangeland. I have something of an obsession with knitting baby clothes at the moment there is no reason behind it but there incredibly cute and you can choose and an allover pattern without being stuck with it for a lifetime.
I wish it where possible to subscribe to Sandnes hefter, there pattern booklets and altho I don’t knit all the patterns I look at them for hours and hours for inspiration, wouldn’t it be nice to come home and find the new issue of amazing inspiration once a month. But they don’t come on a regular schedule nor have subscriptions since it not a magazine just pattern booklets from a yarn company.
As you might have noticed there has been a change of style in my creations lately, that’s to say I have been making other stuff than dresses and cardigans, even shorts which is something I haven’t worn for years until this summer. Early spring I got a craving for beautiful blouses and what do you wear with blouses? Skirts or trousers and that how it all came about. After struggling to fit my first pair of shorts and, being me, wanted to continue making shorts until I had mastered it completely, continued making more. As I went on I realized that I really like sewing trousers or shorts which is what I have been making lately and that trousers don’t have to be uncomfortable or slide down when you sit down and there are more blouses that look better with trousers then they do with a skirt with the exception for a pencil skirt but they aren’t really comfortably nor easy to move around in. So I think this parade of separates might continue for some time.
The latest in this is my knitted Waterlily top from the spring edition of Pompom this year, knitted in Sandnes Garn Alpakka/Silke. Here it is modeled with a wool panel skirt I made about 2 year ago, and I see now that it needs a bit of pressing but just ignore that please. I made a few modifications to the pattern in order to make it fit, firstly I added hip and waist shaping then I lengthened the body approximately 10cm. I also lengthened the yoke 3 cm below the braid and 2 cm in the lace section. The one thing I’m not perfectly pleased with it is the bind of in the back neck I made a few decreases to get it tight but it is still a bit floppy, I’m going to try and sew in a tiny thread of elastic to see it get better otherwise I will have to re do that part. This project made me realize that I don’t like to knit lace anymore, I think that a little bit of lace in a knitted garment makes it more professional and neater looking but I wish someone else would knit that part. That said I’m thinking of maybe making another one in turquoise or yellow, it so beautiful and comfortable and I think it will be great with a cardigan in the winter.
This outfit make me feel like I’d fit in the mini series The Bletchley circle taking part in London 1952.
My latest wardrobe addition is this linen shirt, I don’t usually wear shirts but I thought this was cute and gave it a try. I’m really pleased that I did. The fabric is one that I got this spring from the local fabric store, I got the last of it and there was only 70 cm left. I couldn’t pass it up because it was so beautiful. Ever since have I been trying to find a suitable project that would make it justice but it’s not easy to find a pattern that only requires 70 cm or less even if the fabric was extra wide.
This is Peplum from ottobre 5/2013, I used a 100% shirt linen with different colored wept and weft. The neck lining is made in a quilting cotton. The only modification I made was to take it in a bit over the waist.
Now to the skirt, this was made 2 or 3 years ago but is still unblogged (I’m a really bad blogger sometimes). It is made in a heavy 100% wool probably intended for winter suit coats, it might be merino, it feels like it but I can’t remember. The skirt is a 6 panel self drafted since until about a year ago I had never followed a pattern but drafted all of my sewing projects. This is not to brag I simply didn’t know how to modify a pattern to make it fit and though it was easier to simply fit as I went or as this case simply calculate a 6 panels from a circle, to fit my high hip and maximize the width of the skirt using the fabric I had.
It is finished and I can’t decide on what to do with it, I do really like it and have a bit of separation issue. It is made of a 100% wool sock, wool embroidery floss, wool padding, a bamboo stick and some un dyed wool roving that I felted in to ears.